A fixed glass shower door is an excellent option if you’re looking for a sleek, modern look for your bathroom. But what width should you choose for your fixed glass shower door? This is just one of the questions we’ll answer in today’s post! We’ll also discuss many other helpful topics, including:
- The benefits of fixed glass shower doors
- How to choose the correct width for your fixed glass shower door
- Fixed glass shower door installation tips
By the end of this post, you’ll have all the information you need to make an informed decision about fixed glass shower doors for your bathroom! So let’s get started!
Fixed Glass Shower Door Width
One of the main benefits of fixed glass shower doors is that they provide a clean, sleek look. They can also make your bathroom feel more spacious and open. If you’re considering fixed glass shower doors for your bathroom, one vital factor to consider is width.
We specialize in custom closets and heavy glass shower doors at Coastal Closets and Showers. We’re here to help you make the best decision for your bathroom.
Fixed glass shower doors come in a variety of widths, from 22 inches to 36 inches. The width of your fixed glass shower door will depend on the size of your shower opening.
A 22-inch fixed glass shower door is a good option if you have a small shower opening, perhaps in a guest bathroom. However, a 30-inch fixed glass shower door will give you the coverage you need for a medium-sized shower opening. And a 36-inch fixed glass shower door is the way to go for a large shower opening like the one you might have in a primary bathroom.
Keep in mind, that these are also just guidelines! Depending on your unique bathroom shape, size, design, and your tastes, you may want a different width fixed glass shower door. That’s where our team comes in! We can help you customize your fixed glass shower door to make sure it’s perfect for your bathroom.
Framed vs. Frameless Fixed Glass Shower Door
When you’re choosing a fixed glass shower door, another critical factor to consider is whether you want a framed or frameless fixed glass shower door.
Framed fixed glass shower doors have metal frames around the outside of the door. These frames can be made from aluminum, stainless steel, brass, or any other type of metal. Framed fixed glass shower doors are typically less expensive than frameless fixed glass shower doors.
Frameless fixed glass shower doors don’t have any metal framing. Instead, they’re made entirely of glass, which gives them a sleek, modern look. Frameless fixed glass shower doors are also easier to keep clean since there’s no metal frame for soap scum and dirt to build up on.
However, frameless fixed glass shower doors are more expensive than framed fixed glass shower doors.
So which is right for you? It really comes down to personal preference and your budget.
(Looking for a best of both worlds approach? A semi-frameless shower door is an option too!)
Fixed Glass Shower Door Installation Tips
Installing fixed glass shower doors is a fairly straightforward process if you’re handy and have relevant experience. However, it would help if you kept a few things in mind to ensure the installation goes smoothly.
Here are a few tips for installing fixed glass shower doors:
1. Make sure the surface is level. This is especially important if your fixed glass shower door will be sitting on top of a tile floor. Use a level to check the surface before you begin the installation.
2. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions. This may seem like a no-brainer, but reading and following the manufacturer’s instructions for your specific fixed glass shower door model is essential.
3. Use silicone caulk. Once you’ve installed the fixed glass shower door frame, use silicone caulk to seal any gaps between the frame and the wall or tile. This will help keep water from seeping through and causing damage.
4. Let the caulk cure. Don’t use your fixed glass shower door until the silicone caulk has had a chance to cure or set. This usually takes 24 hours.
5. Add a shower door handle. Once the caulk cures, you can add a shower door handle (if desired). This is purely for aesthetic purposes and is not necessary for the functionality of the fixed glass shower door (and it can help prevent fingerprints on your glass!).
Other Benefits of Fixed Glass Shower Doors
In addition to their clean, sleek look, fixed glass shower doors have a few other benefits.
- One benefit of fixed glass shower doors is that they’re easy to keep clean. Because there are no moving parts, there are fewer nooks and crannies for dirt and grime to build up. And if soap scum does build up, it’s easy to wipe away.
- Another benefit of fixed glass shower doors is that they provide good coverage. If you have a small bathroom, fixed glass shower doors can help make the space feel bigger and more open.
- Finally, fixed glass shower doors can be customized to fit your specific bathroom size and design. Whether you have a small or expansive bathroom, we can help you find the perfect fixed glass shower door to fit your needs.
(Check out this post next for walk-in shower ideas)
Alternatives to a Fixed Glass Shower Door
A few other options might suit if a fixed glass shower door isn’t right for your bathroom.
A sliding glass shower door is one alternative to a fixed glass shower door. Sliding glass shower doors are similar to fixed glass shower doors in that they’re made of glass and provide good coverage. However, sliding glass shower doors slide open and closed on a track instead of being fixed in place.
Another alternative to a fixed glass shower door is the classic shower curtain. Shower curtains are a more traditional option and can be found in a variety of materials, colors, and patterns. While they don’t provide the same sleek look as fixed glass shower doors, they’re an affordable option and can be easily replaced if you want to change up the look of your bathroom.
Lastly, another alternative to fixed glass shower doors is a shower door with a fixed panel and a swing door. This type of door is similar to a traditional hinged door but has a fixed glass panel next to the swinging door. This option provides good coverage while still allowing easy access to the shower.
How to Choose the Right Shower Door for Your Bathroom
When it comes to choosing the right fixed glass shower door for your bathroom, there are a few things you’ll need to keep in mind.
First, consider the size of your bathroom. If you have a small bathroom, you’ll want to choose a fixed glass shower door that doesn’t overwhelm the space. On the other hand, if you have a large bathroom, you can afford to go with a bigger fixed glass shower door.
Second, think about the style of your bathroom. For example, if your bathroom has a modern feel, you might want to choose a fixed glass shower door with clean lines and minimal hardware. Or, if your bathroom is more traditional, you might prefer a fixed glass shower door with decorative details.
Finally, consider your budget. Fixed glass shower doors can range in price depending on the size, style, and features. So it’s important to choose one that fits within your budget.
Tips for Caring for Glass Shower Doors
Regardless of what kind of glass shower door you have, caring for it is key! Here are some tips for caring for and cleaning your glass shower doors to keep them clean and looking their best.
- Use a squeegee. After every shower, use your squeegee to wipe down the glass doors. This will help prevent soap scum and water spots from building up.
- Use vinegar. If soap scum or water spots do build up, you can remove them with white vinegar. Simply mix equal parts vinegar and water and apply it to the door with a sponge. Let it sit for a few minutes and work its magic, then wipe it away with a clean cloth.
- Use a glass cleaner. If vinegar doesn’t do the trick, you can use a commercial glass cleaner on your shower doors. Look for one that’s specifically designed for glass shower doors and follow the instructions on the bottle.
- Don’t use harsh chemicals. Harsh chemicals can damage the glass on your shower doors. Avoid using them, and stick to vinegar, water, and glass cleaner instead.
- Replace your shower door. If your shower door is damaged or stained beyond repair, it’s time to replace it.
(Take a look at this post next for more tips: How to Care for Glass Shower Doors)
Other Bathroom Design Tips
A fixed glass shower door is just one way to make your bathroom look elegant, spacious, and modern. If you’re working on designing your bathroom, here are a few other tips to keep in mind.
- Use light colors. Light colors make a room feel bigger and brighter. In a small bathroom, light colors will help the space feel more open.
- Add storage. Built-in shelves and cabinets provide a place to store towels, toiletries, and other bathroom essentials. This frees up space so your bathroom doesn’t feel cluttered.
- Hang a mirror. A mirror can make a small bathroom feel more spacious. It also reflects light, which makes the space feel brighter.
- Choose simple fixtures. Minimalist fixtures with clean lines give a bathroom a modern look. Plus, they’re easy to clean!
If you’re ready to get started on your dream bathroom, call Coastal Closets and Showers in Stuart, FL., today!