When it comes to garage wall storage, the possibilities are almost endless! But if you’re not sure where to start, we’re here to help. Today, we’ll tell you everything you need to know about garage storage, including our top space-saving tips, different options you have to choose from, and much more.
The Benefits of Garage Wall Storage
First, let’s talk about the benefits of garage wall storage. By adding a garage wall storage system, you can instantly increase the amount of usable space in your garage. Not to mention, it can also help you stay organized and keep your garage looking neat.
Garage Wall Storage Ideas
There are several different types of garage wall storage systems to choose from, so finding one that fits your needs should be easy.
Wire shelving systems
For example, if you’re looking for something affordable and easy to install, consider a wire shelving system. Wire shelves are a great option because they’re strong and durable, and they can be easily installed on any type of wall. Plus, wire shelving is perfect for storing heavier items like tools, sports equipment, and more.
Or, if you want something more durable and customizable, opt for a steel garage cabinet system. Steel cabinets are a great choice because they’re made to last, and you can easily add garage wall storage hooks, shelves, and other accessories to customize your system.
Overhead garage storage
Finally, if you’re looking for a garage storage solution that will help you maximize your space, consider overhead garage storage as well. Overhead garage storage racks are also helpful for storing seasonal items, holiday decorations, and anything else you want to keep out of the way.
No matter what type of garage wall storage system you choose, we guarantee it will help you get your garage organized and make better use of your available space.
Top Space-Saving Tips for Garage Wall Storage
Now that you know a little more about garage wall storage, let’s talk about how to make the most of it. Here are our top tips:
- Measure your garage before you buy anything, so you know exactly how much space you have to work with.
- Utilize every inch of vertical space by adding shelves high up on the walls.
- Install hooks and racks to hang bikes, tools, and other items off the ground and out of the way.
- Keep frequently used items within easy reach by storing them at eye level or lower.
- Use clear containers to store smaller items so you can easily see what’s inside.
- Label everything so you can easily find what you’re looking for.
Other Garage Wall Storage Ideas
In addition to the garage wall storage ideas we’ve mentioned, there are a few other things you can do to get your garage organized. For example, consider adding:
- A workbench: A workbench is a good way to create a dedicated space for working on projects. Plus, it provides extra storage underneath for tools and other supplies.
- A pegboard: Pegboards are a handy way to organize tools and other small items. You can easily add hooks to hold everything in place, and the best part is that you can rearrange your pegboard as needed.
- Storage bins: Storage bins are perfect for storing seasonal items, holiday decorations, and other things you don’t need to access daily.
How to Store Different Items in Your Garage
Are you a car fanatic? Or perhaps your kids are into all kinds of sports? Or maybe you have a green thumb and are looking for the best way to store your gardening tools. No matter what, there are storage options out there that will help you keep your collections and special belongings exactly where you want them: out of sight when not in use but easy to access when you need them.
Here are some garage wall storage ideas for specific items and collections.
If you or your kids are into sports, you know how much gear can accumulate over time. You can keep all of that gear organized and off the floor by hanging it on the walls with garage wall storage hooks. Sort items by sport (for example, baseball mitts with baseballs) so it’s easy to find what you need all in the same place.
Tools can be bulky and difficult to store, but garage wall storage shelves and cabinets can help you keep them organized and clear of your workspace. It’s typically best to hang heavier tools on the garage wall storage hooks and store lighter items on shelves.
Cars and related items
Cars are one of the most difficult things to store, especially if you have a lot of them. But with garage wall storage, you can easily keep your cars and related items organized and out of the way.
Here are some tips for storing cars and related items:
- Keep spare tires and other large items on garage wall storage shelves.
- Hang bikes from the ceiling with garage wall storage hooks.
- Store small items (like screws) in containers so they don’t get lost.
Gardening tools are essential for keeping your garden looking its best. But they can be difficult to store, especially if you have a lot of them. In this case, wall-mounted garage storage racks are an effective way to keep your gardening tools organized and within easy reach. Be sure to label your gardening tools as well as their storage containers to make finding them seamless!
From Christmas lights to Halloween decorations, holiday items can take up a lot of space. But with garage wall storage shelves and bins, you can easily store everything you need and keep it organized until the next holiday season. Label your storage bins by holiday so you can just grab the boxes you need for specific holidays rather than needing to drag your entire holiday collection out.
What Not to Store in Your Garage
As much as your garage is a wonderful storage space, some things shouldn’t be kept in your garage.
Here are five of them.
Paper and other paper products (including photos) are susceptible to damage from moisture and humidity. If you store paper products in your garage, be sure to keep them in a moisture-proof container. It’s also important to consider that paper products are flammable. As such, keeping them in your garage could put your home at risk in the event of a fire in your garage.
Storing food in your garage is not recommended as it can attract pests. If you must store food in your garage, be sure to keep it in a sealed container and away from the walls. Many foods can also spoil in extreme temperatures, so it’s better to keep them in a cool, dry, temperature-controlled place.
Clothing is another item that is susceptible to damage from moisture and humidity. If you store clothing in your garage, make sure it’s in a moisture-proof container. Like paper, it’s also flammable and can quickly catch and spread the fire.
Electronics that aren’t meant to be used outside are sensitive to temperature changes and can be damaged by extreme heat or cold. With that in mind, it’s best to avoid storing indoor electronics in your garage.
Flammable liquids, such as gasoline and oil should never be stored in your garage. Not only are they a fire hazard, but they can also leak and cause damage to your garage floor. Instead, store flammable liquids in a safe, outdoor storage shed.
Garage Wall Storage Safety Tips
Finally, let’s go over a few garage security tips to keep whatever is stored in your garage safe from pests, nature, and intruders:
- Always lock your garage door, even if you’re just going to be gone for a few minutes.
- Don’t store valuables in your garage. If you must, keep them hidden and out of sight or in locked containers.
- Keep your garage clean and free of clutter to deter pests and make it difficult for intruders to hide.
- Regularly test your garage door opener to make sure it’s working properly.
- Consider installing a security system and motion sensor lights in your garage.
- Regularly check your garage for signs of pests or damage.
- Don’t attempt to get things from high shelves or storage containers without a ladder and someone spotting you.
- Use wall-mounted garage storage to keep your belongings organized and off the floor. This protects it from floods, pests, and damage.
- Install strong shelving units to store heavy items. This will help prevent accidents and injuries from falling items.
If you have any other questions about what should or shouldn’t be stored in your garage, contact a professional storage consultant for advice. And always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when it comes to storing items in your garage.
Designing Your Dream Garage Wall Storage System
Follow these tips, and your garage will be a safe and efficient storage space for years to come! But we’re here to help too. As home storage experts, Coastal Closets and Showers can help you create your dream garage wall storage system. Contact us today to learn more about our custom garage design services.
(If you’re on the hunt for small closet storage ideas, we have those too!)