One of the best things about having a walk-in closet is the ability to get creative with the extra space you have to work with! Coastal Closets & Showers specializes in creating unique, luxury closet designs that not only suit your storage needs but look beautiful too! Today, we’ll share some of our favorite tips for designing a luxury walk-in closet and some of the 2022 trends that might help inspire your design.
Luxury Walk-In Closet Design Ideas
Some of the most important things to consider when designing a luxury walk-in closet are:
The type of storage you need
No two homeowners are exactly alike, and neither are their storage needs! When it comes to creating luxury closet designs, you’ll first want to consider what type of storage you need. For instance, some people might prefer lots of open shelving for storing clothes and accessories, while others might prefer closed cabinets and drawers to keep things more organized. Because you have more space to work with, luxury walk-in closets also provide the perfect opportunity to incorporate fun, unique storage solutions like window seats, built-in jewelry cases, or even a small home office.
We’ll talk more about the best storage solutions for walk-in closets in a moment, so don’t miss the rest of this post.
The type of closet layout you want
Another important consideration when designing luxury walk-in closets is the layout. For instance, do you want a traditional linear layout with everything organized by category? Or would you prefer a more creative “cluster” design where different sections are grouped? Perhaps you’re looking for something in between!
Here are some of our favorite luxury walk-in closet layout ideas:
- The Island Layout: This type of layout is perfect for luxury walk-in closets that are larger. It has a central island in the middle of the room, and then everything else is organized around it. This is a great way to add extra storage and counter space and create a more cohesive closet.
- The L-Shaped Layout: This layout is perfect for luxury walk-in closets that are long and narrow. They have two distinct sections, with one section being longer than the other, and then organizing everything around those two sections. This can be an effective way to maximize storage space and create a more efficient overall design.
- The U-Shaped Layout: This layout suits closets that are square or rectangular. It utilizes three distinct sections (usually with two of the sections being longer than the third) and involves organizing everything around those three sections. This helps create an efficient overall design and adds extra storage space.
(If you have a walk-in closet but it’s not particularly spacious, don’t miss these small closet storage tips next)
What type of flooring do you want
The type of flooring you choose for your luxury walk-in closet is also key. Not only does it play a role in the overall aesthetic of the space, but it can also impact things like acoustics, comfort, and even safety. For instance, a carpet might be a good choice if you’re looking for a luxury closet that’s cozier and inviting. However, if you’re looking for a luxury closet that’s easy to clean and maintain, tile or hardwood might be a better choice.
If you opt for carpet, keep in mind that choosing a high-quality, stain-resistant variety is essential. In addition, luxury walk-in closets tend to be high-traffic areas, so you’ll want to ensure your carpet can stand up to wear and tear.
Whether you choose carpet, tile, hardwood, or another type of flooring, make sure it complements the overall design of your luxury walk-in closet.
What type of lighting do you want
Lighting is another important consideration when designing luxury walk-in closets. Not only does it impact the overall look and feel of the space, but it can also affect things like how well you can see what you’re looking for and how easy it is to get dressed in the morning. For instance, natural light is always a good choice for luxury closets (if possible). However, task lighting (like recessed lighting) might be a better option if you don’t have access to natural light.
The type of finishings and fixtures you want
Regarding luxury walk-in closet design, the finishings and fixtures are just as important as the layout and storage solutions. From flooring and lighting to hardware and finishes, there are endless possibilities when it comes to creating a luxury closet that looks and works great.
Some of our favorite luxury walk-in closet design ideas include:
- Incorporating natural materials like wood or stone for a warm, inviting look
- Adding built-in shelving or cabinets for a more tailored look
- Choosing luxurious finishes like marble or quartz countertops
- Selecting high-end fixtures and hardware in gold or brass
- Adding thoughtful, timeless details like crown molding or wainscoting
Just like any other luxury home renovation, designing a luxury walk-in closet can come with a hefty price tag. So before you start, consider your budget and what you’re willing to spend on the project. Once you have a better idea of your financial limitations, you can start brainstorming design ideas that fit within your budget.
Luxury Walk-In Closet Trends
As we progress through 2022, there are several trends we’re seeing in luxury walk-in closet design. If you’re considering a luxury closet for your home, here are some of the latest trends to keep in mind:
- Luxury walk-in closets are becoming increasingly popular, as more and more homeowners are looking for ways to improve their storage space.
- L-shaped and U-shaped layouts are becoming more common. They offer a more efficient way to organize luxury walk-in closets.
- Tile and hardwood flooring is also becoming more popular in luxury walk-in closet design because it’s easy to clean and maintain.
- Natural light is always a favored choice for luxury closets. It can often be achieved with the help of skylights if windows aren’t an option for the space.
- We’re also seeing a trend toward more minimalist luxury closet design. This means choosing simple, clean lines and incorporating fewer (but higher quality) pieces of furniture and storage solutions.
- Finally, we see a trend towards sustainable luxury closet design. This means using materials that are environmentally friendly and/or sourced from sustainable forests. It can also mean choosing energy-efficient lighting fixtures and appliances.
(Check out more 2022 closet trends next)
Walk-In Closet Features
Many different features can be incorporated into a luxury walk-in closet design.
Here are some of the most common luxury walk-in closet features you might add to your own space:
- Fold-out laundry hampers: These hampers can be built into the cabinetry of your luxury walk-in closet and help store dirty clothes out of sight.
- Pull-out ironing boards: This is an ideal option if you’re looking for a luxury closet that’s both functional and stylish.
- Laundry chutes: Laundry chutes are becoming increasingly popular in luxury homes, as they offer a convenient way to send dirty clothes downstairs (or to the laundry room) without having to carry them.
- Dressing rooms: A dressing room is an ultimate luxury when it comes to walk-in closets. It’s a convenient space to try on clothes, do your hair and makeup, and get ready for your day.
- Fireplaces: They are a well-liked luxury walk-in closet feature, as they add warmth and style to the space.
Walk-In Closet Storage Solutions
In any closet design, storage solutions need to be top of mind!
These are some of our favorite solutions for walk-in closets:
- Custom cabinetry: This is a nice way to maximize storage in your luxury walk-in closet. You can choose from a variety of colors, finishes, and styles to create cabinets that fit your specific needs.
- Drawers and shelves: Drawers and shelves are essential for most closets. They give you a place to store clothes, shoes, accessories, and more.
- Hanging racks: Hanging racks are a great way to organize clothes and save space in your luxury walk-in closet.
- Valet rods: Valet rods are a must-have for any luxury closet. They offer a place to hang clothes while you’re getting ready, so you don’t have to worry about them getting wrinkled.
- Seating: This is handy if you want to take a break while getting ready or if you need to sit down to put on your shoes. A small stool, ottoman, or even a built-in bench can provide a place to rest in your luxury walk-in closet.
- Jewelry storage: Keep your jewelry organized and within reach with various storage solutions. A wall-mounted jewelry organizer can keep necklaces, bracelets, and rings tangle-free. A glass-front cabinet is perfect for displaying your favorite pieces, while drawers can store items out of sight.
- Shoes: No luxury walk-in closet is complete without ample storage for shoes. Shelves, racks, and cubbies can all be used to store footwear. If you have a large collection, consider using a shoe carousel to make it easy to find the pair you’re looking for.
Design Your Dream Luxury Closet Today
If you’re ready to start on your luxury closet design, the experts at Coastal Closets and Showers in Stuart are here to help. We specialize in luxury closet design and can create a stylish, functional, and luxurious space. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.